West Corridor progress brings temporary light rail closures
Posted on 07.06.11
RTD’s FasTracks project continues to make progress on the West Corridor, a 12.1-mile light rail transit line that will connect the downtown Denver, Auraria Campus, and the Jefferson County Government Center in Golden.
As a result of ongoing construction, there will be temporary light rail closures between July 23 and August 14, 2011. During this time, the C and E light rail lines will not be in service from the 10th/Osage Station to Denver Union Station. Auraria West, Invesco Field @ Mile High, Pepsi Center/Elitch Gardens, and the Denver Union Station will be closed. On weekdays, passengers may take D, F or H light rail lines to 16th/California. Bus service is available to all closed stations in both directions during these light rail closures.
No weekend service will be available on the D and H light rail lines between the 10th/Osage and the Theatre District/Convention Center stations. Passengers will deboard at the 10th/Osage Station for continued bus service to these stations and downtown Denver.
View maps of the detours:
Bus bridge from 10/Osage Station to Theatre District/Convention Center map
Bus bridge from 10/Osage Station to Denver Union Station map
- You will still be able to get around the downtown Denver area using RTD, despite the limited summer light rail closures that will take place from July 23 – August 14. During the temporary light rail closures, RTD will provide connecting bus shuttle service between all of the light rail stations that will not have train service, with the exception of the Auraria West Campus Station. Signage and information for customers is posted at all stations, on all trains and Mall Shuttles. Shuttle bus service maps are available at RTD-Denver.com and information will be posted on FaceBook and Twitter.
- Direct light rail transportation will not be available from the 10th/Osage station to Denver Union Station from July 23 – August 14. There will be connecting bus shuttle service between 10th/Osage, INVESCO Field at Mile High, Pepsi Center/Elitch Gardens and Denver Union Station (17th/Wynkoop side). No service will be provided to the Auraria West Campus Station.
- Also, for the weekends of July 23-24, July 30-31 and August 6-7, there will be no light rail service between 10th/Osage and the Theatre District/Convention Center. Connecting bus shuttle service will run between 10th/Osage, Colfax at Auraria, and the Theatre District/Convention Center. Train service downtown from the Theater District/Convention Center to 30th/Downing will continue, but a transfer to the bus shuttle will be necessary from the Theatre District/Convention Center Station to stations south of the Theatre District/Convention Center Station.
- During these light rail service closures, the 16th Street Mall Shuttle will continue to provide service to and from the turn-around loop behind Denver Union Station, and passengers can board and deboard as normal even though the light rail platform will be closed. Passengers who would normally catch light rail at Denver Union Station will instead board and deboard the special bus shuttle at Wynkoop/17th Street to connect with other light rail stations or they can catch the MallRide at 16th Street/Wynkoop.
- The Light Rail closures are for two projects that are being completed at the same time for the RTD FasTracks Program. Both the West Rail Line Project and the Denver Union Station Rail Project are constructing track and system work that will allow trains to utilize the new Light Rail Platform at Denver Union Station. The weekend closures between 10th/Osage and the Theatre District/Convention Center are for completion of newly configured track, overhead wire work and for RTD Light Rail Operations to perform electrical upgrade work and track maintenance. One consolidated shutdown for both projects is the most convenient for RTD’s customers.
- On August 15, the Mall Shuttle service will be extended to the new Denver Union Station Light Rail platform located 2 ½ blocks west at its new permanent location near the Consolidated Main Line freight tracks. All light rail stations are scheduled to re-open by August 15, with the exception of the Auraria West Campus Station. This station is being relocated and will re-open in the Fall at its new location.
We apologize for any inconvenience as we build a better transit system. Please plan your trips accordingly.